[lug] named pipe missunderstanding

Jason Davis jdavis at openactive.org
Wed Feb 2 14:23:36 MST 2011

http://developers.sun.com/solaris/articles/named_pipes.html

Opening a Named Pipe

A named pipe can be opened for reading or writing, and it is handled
just like any other normal file in the system. For example, a named
pipe can be opened by using the open() system call, or by using the
fopen() standard C library function.

As with normal files, if the call succeeds, you will get a file
descriptor in the case of open(), or a 'FILE' structure pointer in the
case of fopen(), which you may use either for reading or for writing,
depending on the parameters passed to open() or to fopen().

Therefore, from a user's point of view, once you have created the
named pipe, you can treat it as a file so far as the operations for
opening, reading, writing, and deleting are concerned.

Hope someone tells the solaris developers...