[lug] syncing deletes in backup (or picture workflows)

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 17:57:46 MST 2011

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 21:47, Anthony Foiani <tkil at scrye.com> wrote:
>> f) send rest of the family to hell, and "sit down, weed them out,
>>    document, and forget about that trip - hoping that the rest of
>>    the family went and had fun".
>
> Unfortunately, you end up saying that you don't have time to do it
> now, and you don't have time to do it later.  That's kinda a tough set
> of requirements to meet, don't you think?

Did I? O man, I'm getting older. Anyway, if I did, the whole point
were moot: just backup everything as is and keep going.
The problem is that I will have time later (btw I think I did say that
my parents will bother me to death if I don't send pictures to them
every month or two, so I sift through my stuff on that schedule -
which IMO is relatively "fresh memories" - and take advantage of that
for sorting everything).
In other words, what I need is to decouple the "need my camera and
thus the backup right now" from "have time to sort the stuff later".
This was my dilemma with rsync: I can't use --delete since I can't
keep everything on the laptop, but I do need it to weed the unsorted
stuff

In conclusion, this has been a good conversation, because I figured
out that what I need it's just in front of me: I just need to have a
unsorted/ directory side-by-side with the sorted/ directory. And I
need to rsync them independently: --delete for the former, as it is
(i.e. no --delete) for the latter. Pictures go from the memory card to
the unsorted/ directory and then *moved* (not copied) into the
appropriate subdirectory of the sorted/
(just for the sake of completeness, the tools I use already take care
of the lossy/lossless transforms I do automatically - copying
originals in an obvious place - so I don't need to bother about that
as you are supposing :-)

Thanks a lot to everybody.
Davide