[lug] Canonical announces a component catalog for Linux

davide davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 09:21:56 MST 2011

Since a few time we discussed about this issue, and we looked at this
database: http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw
I think it's good news to know that there is another one (even for not
Ubuntu folks: the drivers should work cross-distro, although with some
work).

HTH,
Dav

Sent to you by davide via Google Reader: Canonical announces a
component catalog for Linux via LWN.net by jake on 2/10/11
Canonical has announced the release of a component catalog that lists
Linux-compatible devices. "With this database, corporate buyers can
specify the design of their Ubuntu desktops or servers from
manufacturers much more efficiently. Individuals can be sure that the
key components of the machine they are considering will work with their
preferred Ubuntu or Linux distribution. The PC and server industry will
also have a simple single source to publicize the work that they do in
certifying Linux components and making that knowledge freely
available." This looks to be a great resource, but it does not seem to
make any distinction between free and binary-only driver support.
Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to LWN.net using Google Reader
favorite sites