[lug] parted mkpart question

Steve A Hart shart at colorado.edu
Mon Feb 21 11:03:50 MST 2011

Quick rundown on the setup:

RHEL6 64-bit
External 8TB RAID (SCSI)
The volume is set using gpt

--------------------------
(parted)print
Model: SA-4540S  (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdd: 7494GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start  End  Size  File system  Name  Flags

(parted)
--------------------------

I just want to create one single primary partition as this is a backup
server.  When I run "mkpart" I keep getting the following:

--------------------------
(parted) mkpart primary ext4 0 -1
Warning: The resulting partition is not properly aligned for best
performance.
Ignore/Cancel?
--------------------------

After some searching I see that this is due to the partition boundary
alignment.  My question is, how can I determine the correct start point
for the partition so this alignment is correct?

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

--