[lug] error loading operating system

Jeff Schroeder jeff at zingstudios.com
Fri Mar 4 13:26:50 MST 2011

John:

> I just installed the latest openSuse on my desktop and when I reboot
> it gives me "Error loading operating system"  after the "Verifying
> DMI Pool Data ......."

IIRC, that message is from the Windows bootloader.  It's looking for
your old instance of XP and can't find it, so it dies.

Perhaps in your installation, the bootloader didn't get updated properly
with GRUB?  I'm not a SuSE guy so I don't know much about the
installation, but I wonder if there's a way you could boot in rescue
mode and just install the bootloader, without redoing the entire
installation process.

HTH,
Jeff