[lug] Bandwidth Monitoring

George Sexton georges at mhsoftware.com
Mon Mar 21 11:30:51 MDT 2011

I'm looking for a network usage monitor for Linux. The features I would like
are:

Lightweight - prefer console based, and not X11 since this is for remote
machines.

Show one minute and 5 minute usage by IP Address, aggregating by port/ip
address, sorted by bytes or packets descending.

I don't want to use wireshark because it's X11. IPTraf is OK, but it doesn't
really show what I need. It can show every connection, or usage by port but
it doesn't aggregate by IP for a history. TCPDump gives tons of detail but
it's hard to get the overall information when you're seeing hundreds of
packets per second go by.

I've thought of writing a filter that uses TCPDump as a data source but I
want to see if there's something out there that will solve my problem
without having to write some code.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
303 438-9585