[lug] Data recovery

Aaron Nichols anichols at trumped.org
Wed Mar 23 19:13:29 MDT 2011

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Gary Hodges <Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov> wrote:
> Thanks for that suggestion.  It gives some tantalizing information, but
> ultimately it doesn't seem capable of fixing the partitions.  I now have
> hope that the files I want can be recovered.  The utility "knows" about
> the partition I want:
>   EXT4 Large file Sparse superblock Recover, 46 GB / 43 GiB
> but I'm ultimately left with a "partition can't be recovered" message.

Yes, I've had disks it couldn't recover but it was worth a shot. There
are some docs about how you can fiddle with disk geometry to try to
get it to work - not sure if that's worthwhile. The same group makes
PhotoRec which is a filesystem independent (mostly) image recovery
app. It's intended for recovering images from damaged disks and goes
after the image data itself without requiring an intact filesystem. It
may be more appropriate since you're after images on the disk. I don't
have any experience with this app though.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

Aaron