[lug] Fedora Lenovo T61 screen config.

Maxwell Spangler maxlists at maxwellspangler.com
Thu Mar 24 19:27:53 MDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 13:01 -0600, Dave Pitts wrote:
> All:
>
> I've just put Fedora 14 on a Lenovo T61. The specs say that the screen can be
> 1440x900 resolution. But, Fedora only recognizes 1280x800 as the max. How can I
> get Fedora to allow the true max? The monitor config tool shows the monitor as a
> "Laptop" with a max of 1280x800... I don't see a xorg.conf under /etc/X11 that I
> could hack..

An important piece of information here is whether you have an nVidia
graphics card installed or whether you're using the default intel
graphics support.  Can you check?

You can make an xorg.conf file by logging in as root and typing

# xorg --configure

Normally you don't need an xorg.conf as dynamic autodetection works
really well -- except for your case.  In your case, it'd be nice to see
what X is configuring for and how you might tweak it.

A more focused place to ask this question is fedoraforum.org.  I'd
search there first.

Resolving your problem is a bit harder than it used to be simply because
the tools have gotten so much better at figuring things out we've
started to forget how to do things like this.  30 minutes of hands-on
time at this weekends CLUE installfest might get you fixed, too.

--
Maxwell Spangler
        Linux System Administration / Computing Services