[lug] kvm drive i/o - nfs vs direct mount

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue Apr 5 17:29:22 MDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-04-05 at 15:53 -0600, David Ahern wrote:
> Are you using virtio for networking? What kind of CPU do you have for
> the host?

Yes, virtio is used for networking in the guest configuration.  The CPU
on the host is a quad core AMD.  The guest has been given access to all
four cores.

> Any idea where the slowdown is? try running 'perf top' in both.

Not yet.  I think its NFS itself, but can't be certain yet.  What am I
looking for in perf top?  The host (fedora) appears to spend most of its
time in "native_safe_halt [kernel.kallsyms]" but that wasn't while the
unpacking was happening.  I'll try it again tonight while the build is
running.

FYI - Ubuntu's default install doesn't include perf and apt-get doesn't
know about perf.  Geez.  Does it include *anything* useful to a
developer?  Ugh.  Any idea what package its in?

--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Principal Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org