[lug] Job: Senior Java Engineer

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Thu Apr 7 09:58:13 MDT 2011

You need to work at better places.

BTW I know what 'software engineering' is and I don't think I've ever worked
at a place that used the textbook form of it. But it's now pretty common for
java shops, at least, to be pretty good about putting in decent tests - the
methodology and tools make it a lot less painful than it used to be and the
'scrum' methodology encourages it since you want to know you've wrapped
everything up at the end of a sprint.

"Test Drive Development" is also helping us work from the requirements than
writing the code and tests first and then asking if it meets the
requirements.

Of course not every shop does that.

Of course decent people don't have to stay there for long... and they don't.