[lug] System Administration - First Dive?

Tue Apr 19 23:26:55 MDT 2011

Is it OK for me to plug a series of classes I teach? And a certification target?

If so, consider Linux Fundamentals, Linux SysAdmin, and Linux Enterprise Services from PARSEC Group, with an eye toward gaining the RHCE certification, or LPIC-2, if you prefer distro agnostic certifications.

The training material is by Guru Labs. They rock. The delivery is me. I'm pretty energetic and excited about this whole "free as in freedom" software thing.

On experience: Do something. Experience in your basement counts. Volunteer. That counts more. Do something visible and lasting. There's absolutely no arguing with a guy that shows you where to download and/or play with something that he actually made.

David L. Willson
Trainer, Engineer, Enthusiast
RHCE MCT MCSE Network+ A+ Linux+ LPIC-1 NovellCLA UbuntuCP
tel://720.333.LANS
Freedom is better when you earn it. Learn Linux.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Erik Lenderman" <e.lenderman33 at gmail.com>
To: lug at lug.boulder.co.us
Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 7:12:50 PM
Subject: [lug] System Administration - First Dive?

Hello,

I am primarily familiar with the basic GUI of Linux home OS's, but I am interested in exploring a career in system administration and beyond. I would like to learn how one could best acquire the knowledge and skills necessary for developing a Unix/Linux expertise.

Would you recommend that I register for 5-day Linux System Administration crash-courses, or would a direct move into entry-level help desk be most effective?

Thank you,

Erik