[lug] System Administration - First Dive?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Apr 21 07:54:18 MDT 2011

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 19:12:50 -0600
Erik Lenderman <e.lenderman33 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am primarily familiar with the basic GUI of Linux home OS's, but I
> am interested in exploring a career in system administration and
> beyond.  I would like to learn how one could best acquire the
> knowledge and skills necessary for developing a Unix/Linux expertise.
>
> Would you recommend that I register for 5-day Linux System
> Administration crash-courses, or would a direct move into entry-level
> help desk be most effective?

In addition to all the other great suggestions in this thread, I'll
toss in another one:

Volunteer to help out with projects that have an open infrastructure.
This would include lots of places like churches or non profits, etc.
This allows you to run something in the real world and help with its
administration and learn.

<od blantent plug>
Fedora infrastructure is another one that fits into the above:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/GettingStarted
</end blatent plug>

Lots of ways to learn, pick the one(s) that work best for you...

kevin