[lug] NTP with a GPS

George Sexton georges at mhsoftware.com
Mon Apr 25 14:11:45 MDT 2011

I hate to say it, but you really have the wrong unit. If you want time from
a GPS unit you needs PPS output. Without PPS, you're only going to get +/-
several hundred milliseconds. There's just too much jitter in the arrival of
the timing message without PPS. This is why your NTP daemon is throwing out
both units.

You should use a Garmin 16X because it has PPS output. Here's the output of
ntpq -p for mine:

jitter
==
+time-B.timefreq .ACTS.           1 u   21  512  377   35.680   -0.237
0.545
+time-A.timefreq .ACTS.           1 u  480 1024  377   36.306   -0.555
0.648
-utcnist2.colora .ACTS.           1 u   75  512  377   36.542    1.298
1.180
-masql.mailarmor 192.43.244.18    2 u   31   64  377   14.540    6.851
2.345
*SHM(1)          .PPS.            0 l   16   16  377    0.000    0.002
0.003

The offset and Jitter for PPS is .002 milliseconds, or 2 microseconds.
Maximum offset and jitter is generally around 10 microseconds.

If it were me, I would use one unit with PPS.

Here's a pretty good reference.

http://time.qnan.org/

The author used a 18LVC. I chose to use a 16x so that I could use a higher
voltage power supply and not worry about voltage drop on a longer cable run.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
303 438-9585
www.mhsoftware.com