[lug] how to repair GPT

Aaron D. Johnson adj at fnord.greeley.co.us
Wed Apr 27 13:50:08 MDT 2011

Steve A Hart writes:
> Sorry, I need more coffee.....
>
> fsck /dev/sdd1
> fsck from util-linux-ng 2.17.2
> e2fsck 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
> Error reading block 914391040 (Attempt to read block from filesystem
> resulted in short read).  Ignore error<y>?

IO error reported there.  Or it's trying to read past the end of the
block device due to bad info in the filesystem's superblock.

> badblocks -s -v /dev/sdd1
> badblocks: File too large while trying to determine device size

Heh.  I can't say I've ever tried badblocks it on a 7Tbyte device
before.  Could be a badblocks bug.  Or something else.  Let's go back
to basics.

What does /proc/partitions say about the size of this device?

Is the kernel still reporting IO errors on sdd?

What sort of drive is this?  LSI53C1030 seems to be a Ultra320 SCSI
HBA.  What sort of target is sdd?  Is it a RAID box of some
description?  (I'd think it has to be based on it being 7Tbytes in
size.)  Are there any diagnostics you can do on that device?  Has it
maybe lost a component drive?

How does "lsscsi" identify sdd?  (Assuming you have that installed.)

- Aaron