[lug] Help is much appreciated

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 20:50:55 MDT 2011

I suspect is the same that's plaguing recent Ubuntus, such as

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/365321 and/or the
likes of 372885, 352228 & many others.

On my laptop, running 10.04LTS, if I completely disable wireless
network, wait a few minutes and then re-enable it, usually (but not
always) the issue is fixed. Note that the very same laptop with
8.04LTS works just fine (but I can't run it anymore because there
won't be anymore updates, not even security ones).

If I'm right, I don't have any suggestion. Maybe trying a different
network adapter via USB or PCMCIA, if you have one?
Regarding SE linux, more than one friend of mine (most of whom are
system administrators) told me that life is too short to learn its
quirks. You might want to remove it temporarily, just to see if the
problem disappears (if you are really paranoid, you can do this
experiment in a separate install on a separate partition where you
don't put any data - and that you wipe after the test - just be sure
to have the very same version of everything that might be related:
gnome/kde, network stack, etc)

Good Luck!
Davide