[lug] Help is much appreciated

Jeffrey S. Haemer jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 21:06:36 MDT 2011

Not the immediate solution, but a tip to keep in your back pocket:

Folks at hacking society and at installfests are there to help.  If you have
a laptop with a reproduceable problem, these are good places to drag it to.

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 8:27 PM, Sarah Tempest <sctempe13 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> First, I don't believe I've ever introduced myself. Been meaning to drop by
> a meeting, blast my stupid early work schedule and general busyness. Anywho,
> I'm Sarah. Some fun facts for you: I reside in Longmont and I have ferrets
> because they're awesome. I love to rock climb, hike, run, just stay active
> in general. I do robotics for funsies because embedded systems are sweet. It
> was my major in college but you know... (enter economy and new graduate rant
> for not having a career in it). Kind of want to keep it more as my passion
> hobby though. Linux is another love of mine. Although, I am definitely no
> expert. I run Fedora on two laptops. I have been running various flavors of
> Linux for about 5 years now. (Gentoo hates me. This I'm pretty sure of). One
> laptop is... falling apart. The other is kind of old but it's mobile, which
> is nice. But yeah...
>
> So when it comes to networking, I'm not the greatest at it. I just got this
> Netgear WNR2000v3 router(WPA/WPA2 protected) not too long ago and neither
> one of my Linux machines(both running Fedora, one is 14 the other is 12),
> will stay connected to the wireless. They'll keep connection for a while,
> but when they lose it, it's almost impossible to get associated again.
> Network Manager nor connecting via command line will work. I rebooted,
> unloaded and reloaded the modules, still no go. Currently I am back on the
> wireless, but I can't figure out what exactly is going on. The Windows
> machine will stay connected just fine, as will my smart phone so it can't be
> the router having issues. The laptop I'm using now usually connects via
> wireless with no issues at all. The other one is falling apart, with a long
> history of wireless card failure, so I'm not too surprised with that. Both
> of them may have lost connection around the same time. I'm not sure on that
> since they are in separate rooms and I needed Internet when the first one
> lost it. It had been at least an hour since switching from the immobile
> laptop to the other one in a different room before connection was lost. I
> was doing a pretty big update when the connection dropped, but only the two
> Linux machines lost connection. I think it might be SE Linux, I'm pretty
> sure I've encountered that before... But I'd rather not disable it. Is there
> any workaround to stop the interference if it is SE Linux? Right now the
> laptop that is falling apart is testing Permissive mode with SE Linux, to
> see if it will still lose the connection randomly and if it will have the
> same problems reconnecting. Any pointers would be awesome.
>
> Thanks for your time!! =]
>
> --
> ==I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said, "I drank
> what?"==

Jeffrey Haemer <jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com>
720-837-8908 [cell], http://seejeffrun.blogspot.com [blog],
http://www.youtube.com/user/goyishekop [vlog]
*και οστις σε αγγαρευσει μιλιον εν υπαγε μετ αυτου δυο*