[lug] setting up hardware (or software) raid on dells

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Sat Apr 30 12:27:01 MDT 2011

I'm trying to install Ubuntu 11.04 onto a new system and have run into a
small problem. The MB supports RAID but I can't get it working. It says
something about 'unsigned drives' so maybe you have to prepare the disks
first?

Lacking that how would I set up software RAID? I hope it's not a case where
the installer would only do it if you use the fully automatic install
instead of setting up your own partitions.

This is an Optiplex 960 with two SATA hybrid drives (4GB SSD + 500GB
conventional).  Nothing has really come up in google yet but that's probably
mostly my poor google skills.