[lug] Help is much appreciated

Mike Stanczyk stanczyk at pcisys.net
Sun May 1 11:35:31 MDT 2011

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011, Sarah Tempest wrote:

> So when it comes to networking, I'm not the greatest at it. I just got this
> Netgear WNR2000v3 router(WPA/WPA2 protected) not too long ago and neither
> one of my Linux machines(both running Fedora, one is 14 the other is 12),
> will stay connected to the wireless. They'll keep connection for a while,
> but when they lose it, it's almost impossible to get associated again.
> Network Manager nor connecting via command line will work. I rebooted,
> unloaded and reloaded the modules, still no go. Currently I am back on the
> wireless, but I can't figure out what exactly is going on. The Windows
> machine will stay connected just fine, as will my smart phone so it can't be
> the router having issues. The laptop I'm using now usually connects via
> wireless with no issues at all.

I had nearly the same symptoms as you are but I did get a solution.
When I had my laptop booted under Windows I had no issues but when
booted under Fedora 12 the connection would drop every five minutes
or less.  Wired or wireless!  I began to suspect my router's dd-wrt
install.  After way to much Google:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Router_Slowdown

the setting that made the difference was:
Maximum Ports: 4096

I only set mine to 3072 but that was the fix for me.  I have no idea why
Windows worked fine on a lesser setting but Fedora went off the deep end.
I do not use P2P, that I know of, on Windows or Fedora.

You could try booting your Windows box with a Fedora live cd and see if you
get the same symptoms there.

Mike