[lug] Colorado Income Tax website uses SILVERLIGHT

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed May 4 22:45:37 MDT 2011

Jason Vallery wrote:
> Not that I think that this particular use case is a good one for
> Silverlight, it is actually a pretty cool technology though.   It works
> pretty good on Linux as well thanks to Moonlight.

In the past I've struggled to submit my taxes using Firefox on Linux.  There were lots of weird
errors about it trying to send me an octet-stream when I tried to submit a page.

I didn't think I could use Silverlight but I played the game long enough to find out I could use
Moonlight.  So v1 is packaged for Debian and v2 is on the web site.  But you need v4 to use the CO
tax site.

So I did my taxes on paper in under 10 minutes (from opening the book to sealing the envelope).
I'll be able to do my state taxes on paper for the next 10 years and still spend less time than the
web site has taken for the past few.

Dave