[lug] Colorado Income Tax website uses SILVERLIGHT

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Wed May 4 23:35:13 MDT 2011

On 5/4/2011 10:48 PM, David L. Anselmi wrote:
> Matt Dew wrote:
>> WTF!?!?!?!
>>
>> https://www.colorado.gov/revenueonline/
>>
>> Who do I need to scream at?
>
> I put in a comment via their web form to the effect that they should test with Linux (they *do*
> support Linux, you follow the steps and you get Moonlight--it just doesn't work with the Moonlight
> you can get).
>
> The reply was "we'll forward that to the appropriate parties".
>
> The IRS FreeFile will let you fill out forms in flash.  That at least works (the one form I tried)
> on Linux.  But both seem like overengineering.

Yeah.

It's a form!

HTML-4 has perfectly good support for forms.

There is absolutely no need for Flash or Silverlight or even client-side
Javascript!

As I remember it (I did my Colorado taxes on their site using my
Windows-7 computer) the fanciest thing the page does is let you
dynamically add various W-2 (and other types) of forms to the income
statement.

That really isn't necessary. I'd be happy to click through a couple of
extra page loads.