[lug] Bicycle Computers

Robert Racansky robert.racansky at gmail.com
Thu May 5 16:09:05 MDT 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Stephen Queen <svqueen at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've recently become interested in bicycle computers, especially ones
> that incorporate GPS. Does anyone use one that plays well with Linux,
> or that they would just recommend?

I don't know about using it with Linux, but my Garmin Forerunner 305
works with my Mac.   Connection is USB.  The maps in the "Garmin
Training Center" software are pretty rudimentary, but supposedly there
are plug-ins for Google Maps and Google Earth, or you can upload the
data to Garmin Connect or Training Peaks.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=349   (Garmin Forerunner 305)

http://www8.garmin.com/train-with-garmin/online-software.html

I prefer the wrist-worn GPS units over the bike-mounted, so I can use
them for running and cross-country skiing, also.

With the heart rate monitor, the paramedics who find my body will be
able to know how fast I was biking/running/skiing, and how far I
coasted after death, when I have my heart-attack from over-exerting
myself trying to keep up with my friends who are in better shape than
I.

Before the Forerunner 305, I had a Forerunner 201, which did not have
Mac support, and used a serial cable  instead of USB.  Not a problem,
as I was still a Windows user back then.

It worked fine, but the buttons on the 201 were too small and too
close together for use during running and biking, especially in the
dark.  I often hit STOP instead of LAP because of this.