[lug] apache ssl error (intermittent)

Ben Luey bluey at iguanaworks.net
Fri May 13 11:01:11 MDT 2011

> one thing you might check is if this is a self-signed certificate you're
> using or a paid for commercial one.  i gather you're trying to use a self
> signed cert and if that's the case, you shouldn't be using an external
> authority to verify it (e.g. this message shouldn't be showing up in your
> server log).
>
> more importantly, if you are using a paid for commercial certificate, i
> believe that communication and cert check occurs between the browser and
> the certificate authority company, not your server, which means the check
> shouldn't be showing up in your server logs.  somebody correct me if i'm
> wrong about that.  just my two cents.  i'll bow out from here.

I'm using a commerical SSL certificate from GoDaddy. It is a UCC
(multi-domain) certificate. This problem started around the time I
switched from a almost expired 1024 bit regular godaddy ssl cert to a
new 2048 bit UCC certificate.

If anyone wants, I have a tcpdump for a successfully and unsuccessfully
openssl s_client connect over the localhost port. -- let me know and
I'll post or email it to you.

Ben