[lug] apache ssl error (intermittent)

Lee Woodworth blug-mail at duboulder.com
Fri May 13 20:01:33 MDT 2011

On 05/13/2011 10:48 AM, dio2002 at indra.com wrote:

>>> Have you tried using s_client from openssl?
>>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion. When it works right, I get a nice long log.
>> When it fails I get:
>>
>> user at example:/tmp$ openssl s_client -connect example.com:443
>> CONNECTED(00000003)
>> depth=3 /L=ValiCert Validation Network/O=ValiCert, Inc./OU=ValiCert
>> Class 2 Policy Validation
>> Authority/CN=http://www.valicert.com//emailAddress=info@valicert.com
>> verify error:num=19:self signed certificate in certificate chain

>> verify return:0
>> 4263:error:0407006A:rsa routines:RSA_padding_check_PKCS1_type_1:block
>> type is not 01:rsa_pk1.c:100:
>> 4263:error:04067072:rsa routines:RSA_EAY_PUBLIC_DECRYPT:padding check
>> failed:rsa_eay.c:699:
>> 4263:error:1408D07B:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_KEY_EXCHANGE:bad
>> signature:s3_clnt.c:1415:
>>

>> Normally, I get the Certificate chains shown and then the certificate
>> key. Could this be some internet / networking issues with valicert.com
>> (who are they?)

Some certs I have looked at have URLs pointing to policy data. This could
be your client trying to verify the cert chain. If you dump all of the certs
in your chain, you should find that URL or a related one.

It looks to me like your ssl clients are going to the internet to verify
something in the certificate chain. You could verify this with a tcpdump
trace of the handshake. A traceroute of any external IPs might show if
there is a routing issue.