[lug] Nagios help?

Will will.sterling at gmail.com
Tue May 24 18:46:56 MDT 2011

In an active monitoring scheme the server contacts an agent running on the
monitored hosts and tells it to run a monitoring plug-in and then listens
for the exit status.  A passive moitor just sits and waits for remote hosts
to connect and tell the server the status of services that are being
monitored.  If it does not recieve an update in a given amount of time it
alerts that the service status is unkown.