[lug] Can't send mail from Ubuntu Server

Gordon Golding gordongoldin at aim.com
Wed May 25 14:55:16 MDT 2011

 I have a new Ubuntu Server:
$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release:        10.10
Codename:       maverick

I installed mailutils, then mutt.
I don't receive mail sent from either at either of my 2 addresses.

mail (GNU Mailutils 2.1)
Mutt 1.5.20 (2009-06-14)

I installed mailutils, then mutt.

After installing mailutils - the recomendation was to shut down the listener with the 2 commands listed.
But I don't think that did anything, because before I did that, I tried to send an email - didn't go.

 sudo apt-get install mailutils
 mail -s "Brewit Test" gordongoldin at aim.com
 /etc/init.d/exim4 stop
update-rc.d -f exim4 remove               !!! quit at line 57 -   NOTE: I didn't use sudo

sudo apt-get install mutt

 I saw that mail without a proper REPLY-TO will get sieved out.  So I tried sending mail with reply-to:
 mail -s "getting anything?" -r gordongoldin at aim.com gordonconnect at gmail.com < /home/g0rd0n/Email/Daily_Report.txt

Any thoughts?

Gordon