[lug] Distributing photos on-line (for free, but not public)

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Thu May 26 10:33:44 MDT 2011

Vince,
if you want to stay with Google, I believe PicasaWeb is better than
Docs and Blogger for the purpose. It has all what you require, but
only the following weak point:

- you can provide a "strong" authentication, but this requires google
account for each and every viewer (and somebody might not want to have
a google account)
- or, you can provide a "weak" authentication, in which no account is
required from the viewer, but anybody knowing the URL can see it (so
it's kinda open, although not indexed in Google Search itself, and
uses robots.txt trying to not be indexed by other search engines -
however it can easily spread to "public" if the URL is posted, say, in
a forum)

If this is not a problem for you (as well as Google "learning and
knowing" more and more about you and those people), I think PicasaWeb
is a great solution. Otherwise, I would recommend hosting it on a
wordpress blog, with the gallery and openID (so no new accounts
required for the viewer) plugins.

HTH,
Davide