[lug] Fedora 14 goes catatonic....

Dave Pitts dpitts at cozx.com
Tue Jun 7 10:48:00 MDT 2011

On 06/07/2011 09:58 AM, David Ahern wrote:
> On 06/07/2011 09:41 AM, Dave Pitts wrote:
>> Hey:
>>
>> Has anybody else who's running Fedora 14 seen it go catatonic? I've got an older
>> IBM A30p running this distro and when I've got Firefox, VLC, and a shell window
>> open it goes catatonic every couple of days. When I run top, if it's not too far
>> gone, it shows most of the activity is in the>82% wait state, the disk is being
>> pounded with activity and cpu usage is low<10%. If I can get a ps -ef it
>> appears to be running, in addition to the usual stuff, packagekitd and it's
>> python child...
>>
>> Could the packagekitd really be the culprit? Or.....
>>
> Memory usage? Could be thrashing due to swap.
>
> I ran F14 for 4-5 months without a problem; running F15 now -- can't say
> the same. Gnome 3 still has some kinks.
>
> David

Yes, I'm assuming that it's swapping (paging) due to the fact that VLC is
running an Internet radio connection, until it goes catatonic, and is hitting
the network rapidly for data. More or less a real time process.

I wonder if there is a way to kill the automatic attempts to keep me safe by not
having the system inform me of system updates??? As this is what seem to be
killing me.

--
Dave Pitts             PULLMAN: Travel and sleep in safety and comfort.
dpitts at cozx.com        My other RV IS a Pullman (Colorado Pine).