[lug] Web site development packages

Simos blug at chinesetearoom.com
Wed Jun 22 14:35:21 MDT 2011

On Wednesday 22 June 2011 2:10 Thomas DiGennaro wrote:
> Your daughter can create a free wordpress site, make it private and
> invitation-only and then invite friends.  Pretty secure and very easy.
> wordpress.com

Doesn't appear to be *that* secure - from just this morning:

http://it.slashdot.org/story/11/06/22/1241241/WordPressorg-Hacked-Plugin-Repository-Compromised
http://wordpress.org/news/2011/06/passwords-reset/

"Back in April hackers gained access to the WordPress.com servers and exposed passwords/API keys
for Twitter and Facebook accounts. Now, hackers gained access to Wordpress.org and the plugin
repository. Malicious code was found in several commits including popular plugins such as AddThis,
WPtouch, or W3 Total Cache. Matt Mullenweg decided to force-reset all passwords on WordPress.org.
This is a great remainder for all users not use the same password for two different services."

On the other hand, Wordpress is what I would have recommended myself - you don't really
have many other options and you don't really want to roll your own. Just use with care.

Regards,

Simos