[lug] AMD Catalyst Display Driver

Steven Hart shart at colorado.edu
Thu Jun 23 14:46:24 MDT 2011

  I just picked up a bunch of HP desktops and they all have FireGL V3350
video cards in them.   I'm going to be setting up RHEL5 64 bit on all of
these systems and I'm having an issue getting the accelerated graphics
to run correctly.

As expected, the driver provided by HP is outdated and bombs miserably.
I have the latest driver provided by AMD/ATI and it appears to install
normally.  The issue I'm having is that when I run glxinfo, I get:

direct rendering: No

and it does not mention anything about the ATI drivers.  It's almost as
if they are not installing correctly.

I'm curious if anyone has played with this type of setup and if so, what
does your xorg.conf file look like.  The installer for the ATI adds a
few sections but it does not change the Videocard0 device section as I
would expect.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks

Steve