[lug] AMD Catalyst Display Driver

Maxwell Spangler maxlists at maxwellspangler.com
Fri Jun 24 09:13:42 MDT 2011

I run the ATI Catalyst drivers on Fedora and they work pretty good.

1) Boot to multi-user mode

2) Login as root

3) Run the installer

4) Reboot

is the simplest way to do things.

I'm doing this on Fedora and my only complaint is that if I upgrade the
kernel, after rebooting the kernel, I'll often get a black screen
because the driver's compiled modules don't match up with what the new
kernel wants.  The solution to this is to simply go to an alternate
console (ALT-F3, etc), login as root in text mode, resinstall the driver
(in text mode) then reboot again and all is fixed.

Try again and give us more information. You should be able to get this
working without buying new cards.

Moving away from RHEL5 would be a really good start.