[lug] smartphone question

Tue Jul 5 12:00:58 MDT 2011

I ssh'd into a Linux server and cleared a space problem in 10 minutes, from a hiking trail, and got back to hiking with my family, rather than leaving the customer down, or trying to talk the customer through it.

I RDP'd into a Windows server, started a guest VM, and logged into the guest, to get an important service running again after a Windows update rebooted both of them.

I pulled over, started up my hotspot, whipped out the laptop, and whipped out an email, in 15 minutes, rather than spending an hour on the phone, explaining things.

Crazy? Crazy like a fox.

Who wants to be my BFF? I get my Facebook, too, and audio-books, music, pictures, movies, pod-casts, camera, video-camera, email... yada yada yada. Unexpected fun was the 3 or 4 days I spent playing with Sketchbook Mobile. The lack of a full off-line Zimbra client was pretty disappointing, and the lack of decent external calendar support is even more so. Otherwise, pretty darn happy with my pocket tablet PC. And I stay pretty happy, in spite of battery life, as long as I remember that it's not a phone, it's a tiny little tablet PC running a Free operating system, that just happens to give good phone. :-)

Droid X. Androids are Linuxen, free and fast.

Hardware is not free. Service is not free. Pretty worth it, though, in my book.

David L. Willson
Trainer, Engineer, Enthusiast
RHCE MCT MCSE Network+ A+ Linux+ LPIC-1 NovellCLA UbuntuCP
tel://720.333.LANS
Freedom is better when you earn it. Learn Linux.