[lug] How to implement Authentication on Disparate OS?

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Fri Jul 15 09:13:18 MDT 2011

Authentication is a deep problem so you definitely want to build on top of
something that already exists - don't just toss in a few calls to a crypto
library and call it a day. Even a minimal system needs to be able to handle
sniffing, man-in-the-middle and replay attacks. That's not even the full
list, e.g., denial-of-service attacks or DNS cache poisoning or countless
other things.

If you still want to do it from scratch (or this is a homework problem) look
at the Kerberos protocol. It's been used on multiple OS for years and
Microsoft "enhanced" it for AD.