[lug] nVidia drivers

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 07:07:07 MDT 2011

Hi,
I've found this Jan 2011 thread from
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=155834 which solves the
issue, at least for this hw. Cut-n-pasting in case the site disappear.
Thanks,
Davide

I am running 64-bit RHEL 5.5 on an HP Z600 workstation and purchased a 3D
Vision Kit, but also am unable to get the stereo graphics to work.
I successfully installed the latest nVIDIA driver (260.19.29) for the Quadro
FX 4800 graphics card from the "telinit 3" non-X-windows mode.
I have connected the 3D emitter to both the USB port and the 3-pin DIN
connector of the Quadro FX 4800.
I also am using the HDMI/DVI cable that came with the kit to connect the
computer to the 3D Vision compliant Acer GD235HZ 120 Hz LCD display.
In the xorg.conf file, I set the Stero option to "10", as directed in the
README for xconfig options with that 260.19.29 driver:
http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/260.19.29/README/xconfigoptions.html

I have tried rebooting the computer after doing all this.
The emitter keeps flashing red and I can not get stereo to work.
For example,
glxgears -stereo
Error: coudn't get an RGB, Double-buffered, Stereo visual

After hours of searching on the forums, I have been unable to find a
solution.

The documentation on the Quadro FX 4800 even claims Full OpenGL
Implementation on Linux.
And according to the URL for the Quadro cards, I should be able to get 3D
Vision to work.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro_pro_graphics_boards_linux.html
On that URL, there's a link for supported drivers and displays, which
indicates my system is a go.

It would be great if someone could help me figure out what I am doing
incorrectly!

I looked at the /var/log/Xorg.0.log and found a hint of the problem:

(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "Stereo" "10"
(**) Jan 14 14:19:21 NVIDIA(0): USB IR emitter stereo requested
(**) Jan 14 14:19:21 NVIDIA(0): Enabling RENDER acceleration
(II) Jan 14 14:19:21 NVIDIA(0): Support for GLX with the Damage and
Composite X extensions is
(II) Jan 14 14:19:21 NVIDIA(0): enabled.

(WW) Jan 14 14:19:23 NVIDIA(0): UBB is incompatible with the Composite
extension. Disabling
(WW) Jan 14 14:19:23 NVIDIA(0): UBB.
(WW) Jan 14 14:19:23 NVIDIA(0): Stereo is incompatible with the Composite
extension.
(II) Jan 14 14:19:23 NVIDIA(0): Disabling stereo.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

man nvidia-xconfig gave me the clue to run this:

nvidia-xconfig --no-composite

Which added a section to the xorg.conf file:

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

Once I did that, logged out of gnome, then logged back in, the green light
on the emitter went on!

But it turns out, I still had one more problem to fix.
I had to use the DVI to DVI cable that came with the Acer Display, not the
HDMI to DVI cable that came with the 3D Vision Kit. Then, I had to log out
and back in again and voila...I finally have 3D stereo working now on an LCD
display with nVIDIA's 3D Vision on RHEL 5.