[lug] linux desktop/laptop @ 64bit

Jeffrey S. Haemer jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 12:42:44 MDT 2011

I installed a 64-bit Ubuntu three or four years ago at work.  I went back
and replaced it with the 32-bit version only because because the one
important thing that wouldn't work on a 64-bit OS was the software we were
developing. :-)

(We had, I discovered by doing this, legacy pieces that were making
assumptions about word length.  They would have taken more time to make
64-bit clean than was worth the trouble, given our target market.)

On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 10:26 AM, Lee Woodworth <blug-mail at duboulder.com>wrote:

> On 07/24/2011 07:29 AM, Davide Del Vento wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I used to have a linux desktop with a 64-bit installation years ago
> > (when x86_64 were just out) and it worked fine, mostly because it
> > actually was a fine dual-library with lib (32bits) and lib64.
> > Has anybody tried a 64-bit installation nowadays? My understanding is
> > that they do pure 64-bit now, not mixed ones anymore (why?)
>
> I've been running 64 bit on servers and laptops for 2+ years now on
> Gentoo. All of the main apps are are straight 64-bit:
>    libreoffice, thunderbird, firefox, inkscape, gimp, blender,
>    gthumb, dvgrab, kdenlive, mysql, postgresl, apache, perl, python,
>    kde, xorg-server
>
> The Kernel is also 64 bit. The accelerated 3d  driver for ATI works.
> I see repaint errors from time to time, but that may be a KDE issue.
>
> I still have multilib support to able build grub (Gentoo is source based)
> and Googleearth (due to an embedded version of wine I think). Googleearth
> works mostly but crashes fairly often.
>
> > Is there any problem (the usual suspect are the proprietary binaries
> > such as Flash plugin for firefox, Chrome browser, etc)?
>
> I don't use flash so don't know about that. I think you also need to
> see what extensions/plugins youtube requires.
>
> > The reason for going 64-bit is to have more than 4GB of memory, but
> > still being a user-facing machine (not server) I'd like to have the
> > convenience of a fully-fledged system (yes, flash is off 99% of the
> > times, thanks to noscript, but that 1% is needed)
> > Any suggestions or recommendations welcome!
>
> User processes can also have a larger virtual address-space. This can
> be useful for apps that map/remap shared memory regions a lot.
>
> Databases can also use the larger address space. Photo/Video editors
> might also benefit.
>
> > Thanks,
> > Davide

Jeffrey Haemer <jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com>