[lug] linux distro on my windows laptop, vmware?

Robert Racansky robert.racansky at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 08:31:18 MDT 2011

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 5:21 PM, Vishal Verma <stellarhopper at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have used vmware player and have found it quite easy and intuitive.
> It is the free version of their product, and not something that will expire
> or work with reduced functionality after a few days - its a proper free
> version :)
> Virtualbox from oracle is also a similar program, and is free, but I like
> vmware better.
> I find it convienent to use a vm because I can switch easily - and if I want
> to try a new distro that's a breeze too.

It's not LInux, but VirtualBSD  http://www.virtualbsd.info/  is an
image ready for VMWare Player (or other similar product).

"VirtualBSD is a desktop ready FreeBSD 8.1 RELEASE, in the form of a
VMware appliance, based on the Xfce 4.6 Desktop Environment. Many of
the most common and useful applications are ready to run, and the
desktop has been styled to resemble a certain OS from Cupertino."

I've used it with VMWare Fusion with no problem.  According to the
main web page, "VirtualBSD can be used with VirtualBox, but not right
away and not easily."