[lug] linux distro on my windows laptop, vmware?

Dru Whitledge druw at oneimage.com
Tue Jul 26 10:08:29 MDT 2011

This is close enough to my recent search (currently stalled) for a
means to incrementally, gradually migrate more and more functionality
to Linux from Windows by simultaneously running Windows (100% of what
I do now) and Linux -- and passing data back and forth between the
two.  Ideally, able to run both windows and linux versions of the
same program at the same time and pass data between them to convince
myself that I'm loosing nothing by running the linux version.

I am still hoping (would pray if I were religious) for some standard
distro to come with a built-in VM box (by someone skilled enough to
configure it) so that one could instantly toggle back and forth
between Linux and Windows without re-booting.

In pursuit of this Holy Grail I have gotten some likely good advice
that I haven't yet had the time / resources to follow up on -- like
the following from Gordon -- which looks good from what is said in
the article.

Portable Ubuntu Runs Ubuntu Inside Windows
http://lifehacker.com/5195999/portable-ubuntu-runs-ubuntu-inside-windows

I inadvertently heard of another distro / configuration / etc that
also purports to do the same, but can't find my notes (not in
searchable email) on it -- it was something like -- Gobuntu --
Lapbuntu -- or something like that. Perhaps someone on this list
knows what I'm not remembering.

Dru
303   666  --  7665