[lug] SSHD connection delay

Erinn Looney-Triggs erinn.looneytriggs at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 12:20:16 MDT 2011

Chances are, and by the way you really should get off Fedora 8, that the
problem is with glibc and your firewall. I ran into this issue on RHEL 6
recently and it took a long time to figure out. The solution is poorly
documented and I expect there are going to be a lot of pissed of
enterprise users as more of them adopt RHEL 6, anyway the solution is to
add the following to you /etc/resolv.conf:

options single-request-reopen

I wrote up a little blog post about this whole thing,
https://stomp.colorado.edu/blog/blog/2011/06/29/on-rhel-6-ssh-dns-firewalls-and-slow-logins/.

This may not be your problem, but the symptoms do match up pretty
closely so give it a try and let me know.

-Erinn