[lug] Making Postfix Play Nice (I'm not spam, really!)

Ben Luey bluey at iguanaworks.net
Thu Jul 28 17:37:41 MDT 2011

When sending out e-mails to our mailing list, I'm having a problem with
some sites thinking I'm sending spam and blocking my mail server. I'm
running postfix and the problem is that many of our subscribers have the
same domain / mail server (say example.net). Postfix starts sending the
users' mail. After ~10 emails in a row to example.net, example's smtp
says "451 4.3.2 Please try again later (in reply to MAIL FROM command))"
as a spam blocking protection. That's no problem and  Postfix respects
that and tries again later -- for that one email.  But postfix may have
50 more emails to send to that domain, so it tries to send them and gets
the same 451. After 10 attempts in one second, example.net gets tired of
giving 451 and blocks my mail server.

Is there a way to get postfix, when it gets a 451 message, to back off
sending all emails to that domain? If postfix only tried 2 or 3 times
after getting the 451 and then had the whole example.net queue wait 5
minutes and try again, I think all would be happy. But instead postfix
keeps pounding their mail server with ~50 requests in row that all get
451. Then in 5 minutes, it tries all 50 requests again. Then in 5
minutes it tries 50 requests again. Then it waits 10 minutes and tries
again, but after the delay,cycle postfix tries EVERY email to that
domain in just a few seconds. I've backed off the number concurrent
connections max to 5 and that didn't make a different -- I think it
isn't the concurrent but consecutive connections.

Ideas?

Ben