[lug] offer: old router & network drive controllers for hacking

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Sun Jul 31 12:29:28 MDT 2011

I have some old gear that would be good for embedded hacking.

1) Linksys WRT54G v5. I've replaced it since it was losing connectivity (I
can't remember if it was the wired or wireless access) but maybe that's
fixable with a reflash. I know these were very popular routers to reflash
for years but I don't know how much memory is in this one.

2) Linksys N-SLUG (network storage link) still in box.  This is a small
wired device with two USB ports intended for two USB 2.0 drives. Out-of-the
box is only supports SAMBA. There was an active third-party developer
community for a while, I don't know if it's still active. Some people
reflashed their systems to boot off an external harddrive (see below), other
people used a package format that allowed the new apps (ftp server, web
server, etc.) to be burned to flash and didn't require external drives. Some
slugs had a decent amount of flash memory but some didn't have a lot to work
with.

3) same, reflashed to boot Debian off external USB drive. I'm not sure where
said external drive is now - it was probably reformatted.

The tech is pretty dated but I'm sure it's "good enough" for some apps and
has very low power requirements.  And it's free.

I don't know when I'll make it to the next BLUG meeting but I could meet
somebody in Boulder (or just leave it in the carport for you to pick up at
your own convenience.)

Bear