[lug] grub2 boot (ubuntu 10.04)

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Aug 19 12:06:51 MDT 2011

Davide Del Vento wrote:
> If I type
>
> linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro
> initrd /initrd.img
> boot
>
> It boots fine and everything works. However I need this machine
> booting by itself, I cannot be there in person at each reboot.

I haven't had to modify anything in the grub config.  There should be an update-grub command (there
is on Debian) that should build what you need in /boot/grub.  Try putting the defaults back and run
that command.

> PS: I'm getting crazy, now that I was becoming familiar with grub and
> its menu.lsf, they come out with this crappy grub2. GRRRR I want LILO
> back

I never used grub much because it didn't support /boot on LVM.  grub2 is much better than LILO.  Its
behavior isn't that hard to grok, although if you have to debug how the boot code is built that's
more complicated than previous booters.  But I haven't had any trouble with that part.

I have an old box that wouldn't boot with grub2 due to a BIOS problem.  Eventually the Debian
maintainer figured out how to work around it in response to my bug report.

Dave