[lug] grub2 boot (ubuntu 10.04)

Fri Aug 19 15:45:00 MDT 2011

Davide,

I tend to agree with you about grub 2, but I reach a different conclusion. Rather than pining (pine'ing, get it?) for the really old days of lilo, I just pine for the slightly less new days of grub 1. I wish the config file was still one simple, relatively readable thing. Extensible is good, but it seems that they went WAY past the point of diminishing returns.

Anyway, I think it would be useful to see these files:

/boot/grub/grub.cfg
/etc/default/grub
any file from /etc/grub.d/ that has been modified recently (recently = anytime in or near the days of your suffering)

Maybe, between all of us, we can find a bad line in the default stanza or something.

David L. Willson
Trainer, Engineer, Enthusiast
RHCE MCT MCSE Network+ A+ Linux+ LPIC-1 NovellCLA UbuntuCP
tel://720.333.LANS
Freedom is better when you earn it. Learn Linux.