[lug] grub2 boot (ubuntu 10.04)

rm at tuxteam.de rm at tuxteam.de
Sun Aug 21 03:43:41 MDT 2011

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 09:36:43AM -0600, Dan Ferris wrote:
> Just so you don't continue to assume you are the only one who is
> brilliant, I have looked at Ubuntu's grub config extensively as well as
> using grub2 on a USB stick to boot ISO images.  Writing my own grub
> config on Ubuntu seems like a total waste of time.

Maybe I'm not getting the gist of your reply, but I'm not trying to be
brillant. I just tried to point out that a few of the claims made I some
posts about grub2 are simply not true. For example, grub2 doesn't
require the (rather complex) scripted setup that ubuntu uses (note:
there are good reasons for a distribution to use a modular setup. That
way a package (like memtest) can provide grub menu entries without
having to grep/sed through a static configuration file).
There was also the claim that lilo's configuration file syntax was
somehow simpler. Now, here's a (static) grub configuration from one of
my running systems (small display-less box running background sound in
an art exhibition):

serial --unit=0 --speed=9600
set default=0
set root=(hd0,1)
menuentry "bruellwuerfel" {
        linux   (hd0,1)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.29-rc6-rt3 root=UUID=a15f1bdb-e013-4a9c-a5a6-fbf0454c11c3 ro clocksource=hpet
        initrd  (hd0,1)/boot/initrd.img-2.6.29-rc6-rt3
}

That's hardly rocket science (and could be reduced even more. We don't
need a menu for that specific box).

Just to be clear:; I don't promote static grub configuration, I just
wanted to point aout that it is possible, and indeed rather simple to
write one.

Cheers, RalfD