[lug] Firefox crashes

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 09:54:26 MDT 2011

Just to clarify what I do (not that others have to do what I do, only
to let you know :-)

I did say and do recommend to use Chrome. but there are several things
that I do not like (to use an euphemism) of it. For example, its being
"cloud oriented" and trying to force you to view documents (e.g. PDF)
in the Google Viewer, which I like far less than (say) evince. You
cannot "force" Chrome to use evince for PDFs, your only option is to
download the sucker on your Desktop (automatical use of self-purged
/tmp directory is not allowed either) and do a lots of clicking to
view and clean-after-your-pet. There are so many of such very annoying
things, that I really can't see myself switching to Chrome "in
production".

So, bottom line is: I do use Chrome and I do recommend others to use
it, but not for "serious" stuff (such as emails and using sites and
content I trust): only for browsing "random crap", especially if flash
or javascript is required and a restart of the "main" browser is
unconvenient (say, many logins required).

Another "trick" I forgot to mention, is that I usually create 2 or 3
accounts per physical user, so each person can open 2 or 3 independent
copies of firefox and be less vulnerable to crashes and browser
restarts (yes, they have to enter their password at 2nd and 3rd
firefox startup - ask me for details if it's not clear what I'm
doing). Of course this has a hefty toll on memory, but nowadays
systems seem to be sturdy enough (and I'd expect even more from yours
64bit - unlike myself you have more than 4GB or RAM, don't you? :-)

Cheers,
Davide