[lug] Ubuntu 10.04.3, Lenovo T420 won't see ethernet card

Jeffrey S. Haemer jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 17:21:40 MDT 2011

My job just gave me a Lenovo T420, loaded up with Windows 7.  I want to
dual-boot it with Ubuntu 10.04 (LTS). Ubuntu refuses to see the ethernet
card.  No, I don't mean just the wireless. :-)

Kubuntu 11.04 (someone had a disk lying around) sees it -- as of course,
does Windows -- and appears to use the e1000e driver.  I used modprobe to
install e1000e on 10.04, and even added a wired interface with the card's
MAC address, but still nothing.

Any constructive suggestions on ways to make this work?  (Yes, I could
change to a different distro, or throw a tantrum about the hardware, or use
a 10.04 virtual machine, or ....  I'm asking, however, whether there's
something I could do to make this T420 a W7/U10.04 dual-boot box.)

--
Jeffrey Haemer <jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com>
720-837-8908 [cell], http://seejeffrun.blogspot.com [blog],