[lug] Ubuntu 10.04.3, Lenovo T420 won't see ethernet card

Lee Woodworth blug-mail at duboulder.com
Sat Sep 3 23:00:12 MDT 2011

On 09/03/2011 06:38 PM, David L. Anselmi wrote:
> Jeffrey S. Haemer wrote:
>> Kubuntu 11.04 (someone had a disk lying around) sees it -- as of course,
>> does Windows -- and appears to use the e1000e driver.  I used modprobe to
>> install e1000e on 10.04, and even added a wired interface with the card's
>> MAC address, but still nothing.
>
> It looks like that's the right module to use.  Does dmesg say anything useful from the e1000e driver?
>
> Perhaps the 10.04 driver is older than the card, so you could get a newer version (and instructions
> for using it with your kernel?) at http://sourceforge.net/projects/e1000/files/
>
> With wireless cards this sort of symptom is usually because the driver doesn't have the firmware it
> needs.  I don't see anything that says your card needs firmware (assuming it's the 82577L{M,C} that
> thinkwiki says it is).

I've had an issue somewhat similar: dual boot vista/gentoo. In my case, it isn't that the
wired eth never shows up, just some times. 1 reboot brings it back. Often happens when I
switch from vista to gentoo. For me dmesg has nothing useful in this situation. The one
thing I have seen consistently when the hardware isn't found:
    ip link show
doesn't even show eth0 existing. So it implies a driver issue that somehow gets resolved
by the restart process.

HTH