[lug] ISP advice

Steven A Hart shart at Colorado.EDU
Mon Sep 5 10:28:12 MDT 2011

Thanks for the info everyone.  I started looking at the Comcast options
and there are alot of them.

Once I get settled in and have used the service for a bit I'll let you
all know how it is.

Cheers

Steve

On 09/05/2011 07:42 AM, Davide Del Vento wrote:
> Another thing I forgot to mention. Comcast is no-contract
> month-to-month subscriptions. The others (last time I checked, which
> is 2 years ago) were lock-in for 2-years.
> Let us know what you'll decide to do and whether or not you'll be happy.
> Best,
> Davide
>
> On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 17:39, Collins Richey<crichey at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 12:00 PM, George Sexton<georges at mhsoftware.com>  wrote:
>>> I've got Comcast and I have to say their service isn't markedly worse than
>>> anyone else's. It's pretty fast.
>>>
>> I've had the equivalent Comcast service since the ATT @HOME days, and
>> the results have always been very good. There were times a few years
>> ago when their DNS servers were not reliable, but I haven't noticed
>> that in the past couple of years.
>>
>> The one caveat with Comcast is this: which local area? I'm on the
>> original well-built ATT portion of the network (SE Aurora). Comcast
>> underbuilt and oversubscribed some of the newer areas resulting in
>> poor performance when every connection was active. The only direct
>> reports I had of this behavior were from the area around the
>> University Blvd / Lincoln area (far south Metro).
>>
>> Another point. I haven't used most of the ISP services for the past 8
>> years. All of my email (including my wife's) is forwarded to gmail,
>> and thus I can't comment much about their current email services. It
>> has improved recently, but the lag in sending an email at one point
>> was up to 10 minutes before it appeared at the sender (both ends on
>> Comcast and gmail).
>>
>> I've never measured the speeds. Comcast upgraded my service a year or
>> so ago. It's always darn fast for downloads. In all the years I've
>> only experienced about 3 outages, relatively brief in duration, except
>> when @HOME bailed out as the ATT ISP without warning. (That has
>> nothing to do with Comcast).
>>
>> Another thought. Quest/Whatever-they-are-now have been building out a
>> fiber network for the past few years. If you are in one of those
>> areas, you would certainly get excellent reults.
>>
>> We also have Comcast as the land-line provider, and that service is excellent.
>>
>> I hope this helps,
>>
>> --
>> Collins Richey
>>       If you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the worries
>>       of tomorrow, you have no today to be thankful for.

Steve Hart
Systems Administrator
Colorado Center for Astrodynamics Research
University of Colorado Boulder
Steven.Hart at colorado.edu
(303)492-8109