[lug] networking question

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Thu Sep 8 08:57:13 MDT 2011

I have a networking question. Curiously I saw the same behavior with an old
router.

Basically it's a new cable/voip modem that includes wifi. I also have a wifi
extender that I attach several computers to in addition to a printer.

1) I can get outside on the wired connection.
2) I can see the cable modem on the wireless connection.
3) Said cable modem is giving me a DHCP lease.
4) The win7 box CAN get outside when using its own wireless connection.
5) The linux boxes (and I believe the win7 box via this connection) CANNOT
get outside when using the wifi extender.
6) all of the networking parameters (netstat -nr) look good - it says to
route traffic to 192.168.1.1 and that 192.168.1.1 can talk to the world, and
as I said I can talk to the cable modem and the other systems on the wired
connections.

It's a D-Link extender, as I recall.  I've powercycled it and a small switch
several times to make sure it isn't caching weird state information.

Ideas? At this point the only thing I can think of is disabling the cable
modem's wifi and reconnecting the old wifi box.

P.S., the new cable/voip modems have an internal UPS. Yay!