[lug] Revision Control System?

Gaurav Vaidya gaurav at ggvaidya.com
Wed Sep 14 14:35:28 MDT 2011

Hi everybody,

On 14 September 2011 11:02, Jeffrey S. Haemer <jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Linux?  All local?  Git's nice because it's incredibly fast.  Plus, you can
> host everything on GitHub, which is a big win.
Absolutely. My last company hosted all our code on GitHub, and we were
pretty happy with the service we got.

> There's little reason to host and administer your own central server/synch
> point any more.
I agree. I love both Git and Github, so that's what I'd recommend, but
TortoiseSVN is a great piece of software to get Windows users who are
new to version control systems set up. Github's network view also
makes it easier to explain how Git works IMO.

There are some other interesting opinions and comparisons in this
sadly closed question on Programmers.StackExchange:
http://programmers.stackexchange.com/q/940/122

cheers,
Gaurav