[lug] Need more space for linux on dual boot machine

Lori Reed lorireed at lightning-rose.com
Thu Sep 15 17:38:35 MDT 2011

On 09/15/2011 04:49 PM, Gordon Golding wrote:

> The linux OS on this dual boot machine, which is hosting a VM, has run
> out of space.
>
> Is it possible to scavenge space from the windows partition?

It's not clear why a VM is of concern, but if all you want to do is
resize the partitions on a hard drive, then yes, it's possible (although
it can be slow).

GParted can be run from a live CD or USB flash drive.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

I prefer SystemRescueCd, which includes GParted.

http://www.sysresccd.org/

Although I've never had any problem resizing partitions, be sure to back
up all files first.

Lori