[lug] JBOD File Browser?

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Sep 16 15:37:37 MDT 2011

Lori Reed wrote:
> Merging two or more directories into a single tree for display/manipulation in a GUI browser is a
> dirt simple algorithm. From the first spark of an idea to design and consideration of the major
> components took me less than five minutes. Unfortunately, I estimate the implementation to be 80
> to 120 hours, mostly due to the tedious nature of GUI programming.

So this is where cp -s comes in.

If you were able to union mount your multiple disks you can use existing file browsers, no GUI
programming required.  You're using some "indirection" to hide the actual disks from the browser.

Likewise, if you make a directory that contains links to all your files across multiple disks then
the browser shows you the same picture.  Just a different sort of indirection.  You might think it
an uglier hack but it's a similar principle.

But if you really want to put this functionality in a GUI, I would look at the file browsers out
there and see if any are modular so you could just make a plugin to do this.  Seems like a waste to
write GUI code when plenty of it already exists.  Of course it may take more than 80-120 hours to
learn how to make a plugin.

Good luck and HTH,
Dave